Saturday, May 21, 2011

Spring Has Sprung,The Grass is Riz, The Flowers Is!

One of the things that gives me great pleasure in this life are the change of seasons we enjoy here in the Midwest. After a long hard winter I am usually fighting the doldrums and flowers bring me such joy! Surely God planned the most beautiful flowers to come after the gray winter to cheer and encourage us. I love getting out and working in the soil.

The lantern and flowers to welcome spring!

This spring has been such a wet and cold one that I finally went out and planted my first seeds in the rain! I just couldn't wait any longer. As Keith told you in our previous blog post, the salsa garden is in and getting a good start. My rain barrel is doing a great job to help keep the water bill down. During a spring like this one, it's a good thing it has an overflow spigot! I think I could have filled a dozen or more!

The front shade garden

The front garden has been an especially fun place to plant since it adds to the "sit-ability" of the front porch. Since that area would not grow grass we decided to give in to the natural habitat and grow a shade garden. We've been adding things for a couple of years now and it's really taking shape. The small water fountain I added last year is running again and I planted a Lasting Love Caladium directly in front of the porch. Right above it you can see the new porch box I found at a nearby discount store (yeah Gabriel Brothers! for those of you who know it). It was fun going back up to the Amish green house to pick some pretty flowers.

The bargain front porch flower basket

So now we can sit and entertain on the front porch surrounded by the beauty of some of God's floral creations. What a blessing! After summer I'll be glad for the fall and then winter but let's not think about THAT yet!!! Everything in its time.

So, if you are passing through Ohio this summer, stop by and have a sit on our front porch at....

We'd love to have you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to see you got the Blog problem fixed! The flowers look fantastic and we are sorry we won't see them this year. You will have a beautiful porch! Love Dad