Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Karen's View This Morning

It's Karen writing today! I thought I'd show you my view as I work this morning.

The view from the sewing machine

This isn't what I had planned to do today. But, sometimes we make our plans and then something changes them. I'm guessing you've had some days like that! Jesus said there'd be days like that. Today I was planning on attending the Piecemakers Quilters Guild meeting. However, the weather is messing with my head and I am not up to interacting and driving so I am blessed to have a day at home.

Despite my aching head I can often get into a project that doesn't take too much gray matter usage and gives my brain a welcome distraction until my head demands a long nap. The Piecemakers Quilting Guild allows me opportunity to use my sewing to share God's love with kids who are fighting cancer at one of our local hospitals. Last year the guild donated about 85 quilts to this cause!

Families are delighted and surprised that anyone would care enough to make quilts for their kids.The nurses can enjoy giving something of comfort and care to families who are going through such a hard time. We have a local company who packages quilting fabrics and is generous enough to allow us to buy what they will not be able to use for pennies on the dollar! How awesome is that?! I'm so glad for their generosity and that God has shown me this resource through a friend at church.

I am still learning about quilting and feeling my ignorance as I work on this first kids quilt but it is sewn with love and with my prayers for the child who will find themselves wrapped up in it. I don't have the hand stitching quite done yet but here is a preview of the colorful covering:

My first attempt at machine quilting. All done but the hand sewing

 As I work at home I can always count on having a furry companion nearby "helping" keep the fabric warmed up...

Tanner warms up the fabric

...and another to help me remember when it's time to stop and take a nap so my head can heal from this migraine.

Tucker encourages me to take a nap and rest

Times of work and times of rest. All according to God's plan. Yielding to God's leading can even make a headache day a day of blessing!

Thanks for checking in on my view of the day! Time to go.....I think I hear Tucker snoring...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

Elaine Wiley said...

Hi Karen, Such a blessing to make something and then five it to someone who will wear it with love. My 2 cats help me too. Chai, my little girl helps with bible study and card making. Mocha checks in on my progress in a supervisory role. Sorry you didn't get to go to your meeting, but like you said, God had something else planned. I enjoy your blogs and it helps remind me to pray for both of you. Love in Him, Elaine Wiley from CBC