Saturday, July 17, 2010

Building a DC-3 In Our Basement

Well, either our basement is very large (to encompass building a 26 passenger, twin engine, WW 2 era airplane) or the DC-3 I built is very small. Take a guess. Yes, the DC-3 is a scale model as our basement isn't very large. Or even regular large. It's just a basement.

I hadn't built a scale airplane model in probably...forty years. It was fun to sit down at my workbench and, over the course of several evenings over the course of a month or two, to remember the joy of model building. Spray paint, trim paint, glue, hobby knives, tape, paint brushes, rubber bands, decals...it was fun, less of a rush than when I was younger. I savored each step and took it to a little more detail than if I were 12 years old. There's still a world of tricks and techniques to increase the realism of my modeling but there's time for that. I have several HO model train cars to build as well.

But before I do any more painting in the basement, I do need to build a little paint booth. Lord willing, I'll get around to that sometime before winter starts. Right now, I can paint outside if I need to.

Here are some pictures of the DC-3 in Eastern Air Lines colors.

In the assembly process at my basement workbench.

On the ramp at MMS Aviation #1

On the ramp at MMS Aviation #2

2 comments:

Rachel Ballou said...

Nice, are you going to fly it to Osh Kosh for the reunion flight?

Anonymous said...

You did an excellent job!!!!!! really looks real! Brought back a lot of memories! Love Dad