Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thursday Notes and Thoughts

It's been a busy but quiet week. The weather's been very nice. Daytime highs in the 70's, overnight lows in the 50's, sun, blue sky, puffy white clouds, gentle breeze...very Ohio-esque. The humidity is only 42% as I write this which feels kind of like being in the desert after last week's weather. We're to be back in the hot/humid cycle next week.

Monday at the mission I took care of a bunch of loose ends so I could spend Tuesday, Wednesday, and today focused on pulling the August issue of MMS' GroundCrew newsletter together. My normal routine for assembling the GroundCrew is on the first day I select photographs. The second day I write the copy and captions. The third day I review and revise the copy, tweak the layout, and digitally package the project. The fourth day I take one last look at everything before I send the file to our graphic designer. It's going to be an exciting issue providing a direct connection between what we do in our hangar and what's happening on the mission field.

Tuesday evening Karen and I had a date night out to "Lock 27" which is the patio and downstairs dining area for the Warehouse Steak & Stein Restaurant in Roscoe Village here in town. We had lovely little table on the patio. On Tuesdays it's half-price hamburgers which is a great deal. Karen and I were both able to have specialty hamburgers, fries, a half order of onion rings, and sodas for $14 and change. Dinner out for two for less than $15. Not bad. We ran in to two MMS families and our next door neighbors also eating on the patio.

Last night I worked on the yard catching up on the trimming, weeding and edging. This evening I moved wood from our garage to the wood rack and then we took the dogs up to the airport for a bit of exercise.

Karen worked her two days at the mission and has been organizing and clearing our basement at home. I need to clean and patch large areas of our basement walls that are currently behind large shelves loaded with food and household items. Once all that stuff is moved, then I can get to the walls. But to move all that stuff, we need to make room for it.

Young adult Sunday School is going very well. We're nearly halfway through Andrew Murray's Abiding In Christ. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend you do so. It's a 31 day devotional that will challenge, encourage, and guide you to desire/experience a deeper level of intimacy with Jesus Christ. It's a powerful little booklet. "Abiding" is a concept very much lost in today's typical church and yet is so critical, crucial even, for healthy spiritual growth. My eyes are being opened to a new reality of relationship.

We'll be in Pennsylvania this weekend for a family gathering on Saturday and we're speaking in a supporting church on Sunday. Monday we'll be home and will host a member of Missionary Safety International's staff of three that is coming to perform an audit of how well we're operating as an FAA Certificated Repair Station.

Have a great weekend. Thanks for your gifts and your prayers. We need both to serve!

No comments: