Friday, February 15, 2013

Karen's Rus Rus Report #1: The Flight to Rus Rus

We just arrived in Rus Rus and parked the plane (Wes did of course!).
It’s very hot and humid as expected. All the flights went well. Some rough ride as I came into San Pedro Sula but no problem. They went thru my luggage here in Honduras but didn’t seem to want to bother to open the bubble wrap that held the radio panel! The guys looked at it for a while and finally looked at me and said, “Just plastic?” I said yes and that was that. I walked out to the food court and found Wes, Rachel and Carlos at a table waiting and working on paper work for flying out to Rus Rus. On the Atlanta-San Pedro flight I sat beside a doctor and his daughter who were both first timers with IHS. Very nice.
We all headed thru what seemed a million check points as we went to the 206 for the flight to Rus Rus. It was windy for the take off and then we went thru quite a bit of rain and clouds...a lot like flying thru a glass of milk! Then we came out on the other side of it to more beautiful green mountains and valleys as far as the eye can see. We soon saw the Rio Coco (River) on our right which is the border of Nicaragua. We saw several illegal drug runways that are used along the way. We saw a couple of little villages along the river that war with each other over drugs. They also give trouble to anyone who tries to give any help to either village.

 MAG's Cessna 206 lands on the grass airstrip at Rus Rus.
(video courtesy of Dwight Jarboe)

I can’t possibly share everything I’m taking in being here in Rus Rus for the first time! The house is rough cinder block inside and out. Denise and Rachel are sweet and friendly and ready to share whatever they have and show me the ropes. We are going to help Denise set the rooms up and make the beds for the IHS medical team in the guest house and apartments. The dining area here is full of sheets and so forth that we will take over to the guest house maybe tomorrow. Ebony, their Black Lab is so friendly and it was fun to be greeted by her and have a dog to pet. I just met Jack, their Capuchin monkey, too. Jack climbed on my shoulder and let me pet him. He wasn’t happy when Wes took him away!
Jack

No comments: