Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Final Packing for Rus Rus

As I sit here by the warmth of our fireplace on this cold day it is hard to imagine that I will be in hot and humid weather the day after tomorrow!

Tucker and I out for a walk in the cold weather


 Tucker joins me by the fireplace

I can hardly believe "D-Day" is finally here: Departure Day! I loaded up the suitcase today and stood on the scales to find both of us are within the weight limits. Yeah! I'm taking scrubs to work in and other clothes for when I'm not in the clinic but it's still not all that much. What I'm finding funny is the things that keep getting added to my luggage that I didn't plan on.

It started out with two big bags (4 pounds) of baking nuts and added two more bags (5 pounds) of craisins for Denise....I love to bake and I can relate to not being able to get nuts and craisins!!! Then I got two data cards...very small. Kind of like the data cards in your camera. No big deal. Then I got an electronic audio panel. Now that's not so big (though much bigger than data cards!) but it's quite fragile so it has to be hand-carried and wrapped in a fair amount of bubble wrap and will almost certainly be inspected at security. Now I don't much care one way or the other about those parts except that Wes needs them and they are for the airplane I'll be flying in.....I want Wes and the airplane to have all they need. :o) Then yesterday I received a bag full of tractor parts....I guess I'll find out what tractor when I get there. Today I received an overnight package with generator parts to add to my collection of carry-alongs. I'm trying hard to keep in mind what all the different things are so when security or customs asks I'll have some intelligent answer that will hopefully appease them!

"Parts"

Welcome to traveling for missions! Many who have done so before recognize this type of story. You pack minimally for personal needs and pack heavy for what is needed by those who serve in such remote places. It's a blessing to be able to carry precious cargo to those who live where many of us can not even imagine living so those in the field can answer the call to serve beyond the end of the road for the glory of God.

I do not know how much access to communication I will have in Rus Rus so I expect this will be the last blog you'll have from me until I return. I will communicate with Keith as I'm able and perhaps  he can blog while I'm gone.

Thank you for your continued prayers for this trip and for me. Keith and I and two other MMS friends will leave for the airport in Columbus at 2:30AM Friday morning.  I look forward to sharing this trip with you as soon as communication allows.

3 comments:

Sharon O'Donnell said...

Wow, Karen! This takes "Tips for packing a suitcase" to a whole new level! What an exciting adventure! I'll pray that customs doesn't ask too many questions :)

Love you!!

Debbie Haggerty said...

Praying for safe travel, peaceful passage through security, and God's guidance and covering during your time away. Oh, and for a safe return home!

Lynette said...

What a tremendous experience, adventure and demonstration of faith. Praying for an "uneventful" trip.

Love
Lynette