Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Karen's Rus Rus Report #4: The IHS Team Arrives

Air Work And Ground Work
Wes left early this morning in the plane. He had to finish up one trip that he couldn't do yesterday because the folks providing the fuel had a malfunction and he had to wait for them to fix their fuel pump. He was exhausted yesterday after flying all day in very rough weather. He went to bed early and awoke refreshed and ready to go this morning. There's an amazing amount of groundwork (and air work!) that goes on in order to make a medical clinic happen in such a remote location. Wes will make five round-trip flights today! It's a blessing to be here to help Wes and Denise. We also have Rachel, their daughter with us as well as Gabriella and Samuel who are two missionary teens staying with Wes & Denise. They've been a great help as we hike to the guest house and apartments with supplies.

I had to weave my way between cows and horses on the runway as I walked to the guest house.

Criticism or Christ's Compassion?
Part of the challenge is that very little can be done ahead of time at the guest quarters because things would disappear. Wes put light bulbs in the rooms a couple of days ago and today many of them were gone. That's not a knock against the villagers, it's just that people here have so little that it is a great temptation to put such things out there and expect them not take them. Wes said that the light blankets we put on the beds are like leaving $100 bills lying around. Think about that for a minute! Would you be tempted to pick up a $100 bill that was just lying there? It's far too easy for us to become critical instead of compassionate!


I have to take a break here. Wes just radioed in and will be landing with the IHS team leader and first supplies in 7 minutes.


Unloading our Cessna 206

Making New Friends
OK, I'm back! I met the airplane and helped unload it. I also met John, the IHS team leader and chatted with him while waiting for Wes to fly in with the next load of team members. The flight may be delayed as rain has moved in. While I was chatting with John on the new porch of the hospital one of the little girls I met yesterday came up and snuggled up beside me.

Here I am with my new friend!

People seem to be happy to see me around now when I walk. I think they have gotten to know me a bit and they will say hello and smile. I got to see a 5 day-old in the hospital while I was there. Soooo fun to see my favorite age patient! It was so hard not to have the words to say to talk with the mom and other little ones who were along. I at least was able to ask how old the baby was and watch Janeth care for him. Janeth is a younger nurse who is the sister of Geraldina and is learning more and more from Geraldina's vast experience.

Karen (left) sorts "meds" with a member of the IHS team inside the hospital.

Just heard the radio that Wes is almost here with the next airplane load of people and supplies. I've got to run up to meet them and help! There are shelves to fill in the pharmacy, medicines to organize and prepare for distribution, and the dental clinic still needs to be set up!


Here's our dental clinic in Hospital Rus Rus!

Thanks for your prayers for me, our MAG missionaries, and the members of the International Health Services medical/dental team! Our ten day clinic starts tomorrow!

1 comment:

Sheila and Bob said...

Hi Karen:
I'm glad you are there to show Christ's Love to others...to be His arms of help. This will be an experience you will remember all your life.
Love and prayers from Sheila and Bob