Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Leftover Jalapenos? Hot Pepper Jam!

Even though salsa season has ended, our pepper plants continued to produce! What to do with a pile of jalapenos? Why, you make hot pepper jam, of course! Well, at least that's what we did last evening.

Karen has this great recipe that tastes wonderful spilled over a block of cream cheese and eaten as a dip with crackers.

And it's totally festive as we head into the holiday season because the green and red jalapenos are mixed with green and red bell peppers in a pinkish jam. Oh man, my mouth's already watering waiting for those holidays to arrive. By the way, did I mention we pickeled some hot-pepper eggs that need to "age" for a year? Come on...summer of 2010! But back to the hot pepper jam...

The raw materials.

Head pepper chopper.

Chopped jalapeno peppers nearly fill our two quart bowl.

Karen measures out the pepper mix (notice the two bowls of sugar!)

Karen loads the jelly jars with the hot jam.

If you come out for a visit this fall, we'll have the salsa and the pepper jam waiting for you! But you'll need to wait for next summer for the hot-pepper eggs...

2 comments:

lkkahle48 said...

Hi. Karen and Keith,, my name is Linda Kahle and I live in Tucson AZ do you share your recipe's. I of course love anythink with Jalapeno's,, I have a Pineapple Jalapeno/Habanero Marmalade that is out of this world. I like to can..(no that's not really true.I love to can) and mostly, like canning with Jalapeno's...the hot eggs sound yummy. that's for taking your time to read this.
a Fan in Tucson AZ.(ME)

Keith said...

Hello Linda, thanks for your comment. I had no idea we had a fan in AZ! That's pretty cool.

We don't have that many recipes to share but if you'll provide us with some contact info, we'll be glad to share what we have. I tried to link to your identity in the comment post but it won't let me email you.

you can email me at kdodson368@gmail.com