Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Month of May Arrives

May's arrival brings daytime temps in the 70's and 80's (at least this week), deep blue sky, and a flotilla of those perfectly puffy Midwest cotton-ball clouds riding the upper level breeze. The days are gorgeous, the trees are all leafy, lawns need mowed twice a week, Robins are hatching all over the place, there's lots of shade, the humidity hasn't arrived yet, the mosquitoes haven't hatched yet, birds are singing, the Dogwood Festival has just ended and the Hot Air Balloon Festival is next month, the Good Sam RV armada is fully hooked-up over at the fair grounds and "all is well" within the little world of Coshocton County as long as you don't look too hard at the local economy.

Ohio had its primary election today. We voted. We're pretty serious about our voting. When we voted this afternoon on our way home from MMS, 66 Republicans, 44 Democrats, and a handful of Independents had already cast their ballots. In Ohio you DO have to show valid identification in order to vote. Personally, I'd also enjoy having to show my long-form birth certificate just because I have one.

Yesterday was a day of meetings at MMS. Today Karen Karen worked at the office doing receipting and assisted with an apprentice interview. Ever six months Karen and I sit down with each apprentice family to see how they're doing, answer their questions, ask questions ourselves, provide counsel if needed, discuss issues they're facing, and review coping models for missionary adjustment. Today the interview was with Paul and Kristin G. It was two hours well spent. After that, I met with Paul G. to go over his six month performance review. Last month we had interviews Paul J. and Andy. Next month we'll meet with Mark and Jenny.

After voting and having dinner (chicken pot pies and green salad) I took Tanner out for our 3 mile walk and Karen embarked on digging a new flowerbed along the garage wall that faces the house. She was still digging when Tanner and I returned so we lent a hand and helped her finish the dig.

With the weather so nice, I'm back on my bike again. I rode to the shop yesterday and plan to ride again tomorrow. My knees are feeling pretty good (I'm taking glucosamine tablets now) , my leg muscles are fine, and I haven't had a heart attack on the hill yet so everything's fine and dandy on the physical side.

I think that brings you up to date. We're going through a phase where we're having a hard time remembering to take photos of what we're doing so we can blog them. We'll try and do better.

Well, it's 40 minutes until Deadliest Catch comes on. We don't watch much TV but I can't get enough of those guys pulling crab pots up on the Bering Sea. Have a great evening. We'll be back in touch soon.

No comments: