Saturday, February 5, 2011

Eating Kim Chee on a Rainy, Sleety, Snowy Saturday

We've had snow, rain, and sleet so far today. It's a good day to be inside though, all things considered, it's not all that bad outside. Rain at 32 degrees can go either way.

I ran some errands this morning but have spent most of the day here at the computer working on missionary stuff. It's all part of the ministry. Karen's at a baby shower for one of the MMS ladies. Tucker and Tanner are curled up on their fleece-covered bean bag beds.

By the way, my chop sticks are in hand and I'm eating Kim Chee. Karen buys it for me because she loves me...not necessarily the Kim Chee. She doesn't eat the stuff. Won't eat it. Refuses to eat it. Doesn't even like the smell of it. Kim Chee is a Korean side dish made by fermenting cabbage with all kinds of odds and ends and then stuffing it in a jar to continue its fermentation. It's the only snack food I know that's labeled with a safety warning:

"Contents are under pressure due to constant natural fermentation. DO NOT PUNCTURE. To prevent spills cover cap with napkin and open slowly over sink.

I recommend following the instructions when you open it and using chop sticks to eat it.

Doesn't that look good? Actually just the photo makes my mouth water.

I think it tastes pretty good (hot, spicy--heck they crush shrimp and anchovies in it so it HAS to be good) but not everyone agrees with me. Hoever, everyone in the room or building does knows when someone's been eating Kim Chee. It has as distinctive of an aroma as it does flavor. You should be able to find it in your grocer's deli. If I can find it here in Coshocton, you can find it there wherever you are.

Enjoy your weekend! I have the breath mints standing by...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From what I read, Karen really Loves you! You due have unique taste buds! Love Dad