Friday, September 26, 2008

So, What Do YOU Do?

There is one struggle I have found that many missionary wives have in common (myself included!). It's during a speaking engagement while representing your ministry. It might be a dinner or a church or while you are on deputation. Suddenly the attention turns from your spouse, whom you are dutifully standing next to and being a good supportive wife, and unexpectedly someone looks straight at you and says: 'So, what do YOU do?' The answer that comes to my mind immediately is "I have no idea what all I do but it always seems to keep me extremely busy with ministry!" I've yet to give that as an answer and probably never will. But, that question is one of the reasons that I like Fridays.

There's a lot of reasons I like Fridays. It's the end of the week, I get to work with Keith at the mission, I experience the joys of being with the other missionaries and sharing in the excitement of the work being done in the hangar, and it gives me a good answer for that question that people ask! I know exactly what I do on Fridays! I process donations to the mission, issue receipts to the donors, and am the mailing list manager for MMS. I really do love working for the Lord at MMS. Some weeks receipting and mailing list management takes a lot more than Fridays and that's OK. Three other primary ministries I have is to be available to the mission and mission families at a moment's notice, to keep our home ready for guests to arrive without warning, and to assist Keith as his HR assistant in various interviews and orientations. I'm pleased to be able to meet those needs when I can.
While I was at the hangar today I thought I'd take the opportunity to show you some pictures of Keith working today. He has a pretty straight forward answer to what HE does. But, the truth is, he wears some hats you may not be aware of. I followed him around today when he left his office to catch some photos of the guys working. Generally when we take a photo of someone taking a photo we're just joking around. But, this is Keith doing what he does! Pictures are of great importance at MMS and are used for newsletters, GroundCrew, record keeping, documentation, blogs and more. Keith takes most all of those pictures. He keeps constantly appraised of what is happening and is up and down from his desk often to capture the events of the day on the hangar floor. So, this is a picture of the guys working. The guy in the pictures that's taking a picture, he's working too!Keith is a wiz at pictures. He's also quite good at PhotoShop. The picture you see here with the ugly and distracting white bottle is one he didn't want me to use. But I'll use it for an illustration about how well he does his job. That white bottle is there because he pulled it out of the picture HE was taking so it wouldn't be distracting to you (or need a PhotoShop surgical extraction!). Nearly all of the hangar photos you see in your MMS GroundCrew are taken and prepped by Keith for publication. It's a part of his job that you never see. He also proof reads and edits everyone's personal newsletters at MMS. (And, when I'm done writing this blog I'll get him to edit it for me before I post it!).

Keith and I love serving our Lord together....even if I can't always describe just exactly what I do all the time!

1 comment:

Ralph and Brenda said...

I like having that different perspective--of both yours and Keith's duties! Thanks!