Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cabin Fever: Or How to Enjoy a Walk in 11 Degrees

It doesn't me or Tanner long to develop the need to get outside and go for a walk. We'll walk almost anytime as long as it's not raining or icy and it's light. Both of us greatly enjoy walking and we have a regular three mile loop that we take across the railroad tracks (right behind our house) and through several Coshocton neighborhoods. The snow hasn't gotten icy yet so ice really wasn't an issue and THE SUN WAS OUT! The last two snow storms have been very un-Coshocton like. The snow has been dry and fluffy and the sun has come out and stayed out the next days after the storm. I like that. Colder, drier, and sunnier makes things much more enjoyable.

However, with a -3 degree temp outside when we got up this morning, we didn't rush right out for a walk. Tanner slept in and I met a friend for breakfast returning around 10. After that, Karen and I settled down to discuss a devotional book we're working through and before we knew it it was noon! By then I needed to stretch my legs and Tanner had his "If you guys are done talking can we go for a walk NOW?" look on. It's really clear when he wants to go for a walk He just comes up and sits and stares at me with a very expectant look on his face. He just sits there and stares. Follows me around and then just sits and stares. When I go for my shoes he perks up and when I grab his leash he is very pleased that I finally caught on.

Heading out


Happy to be outside on our nicely plowed side street!

It was 11 degrees when we took off for our walk. We had a GREAT walk! Tanner was an icy, snowy, mess on his legs and belly but that's just part of the experience. He LOVES being toweled off once we get home. We stop along the way so I can check his paws for ice and then we keep moving. It took us a little longer today because not everyone shovels their sidewalks, the snow plow covers others, and I don't have snowshoes (nor do I want any!). Consequently we took some side streets as alternatives as the streets were clearer.

Tanner slept most of the afternoon after his big day out. He likes wearing his snappy little green sweater that Karen made for him.

Tomorrow's supposed to be cold again with a low of -5 predicted for the morning. So wherever you are it's either colder or warmer (my Dad said it was 70 out at their place in Southern California) or colder (praise the Lord, God didn't call us to Minnesota or Canada!) so stay warm! or stay cool!

Thanks for your friendship, your gifts, and your prayers.

3 comments:

Ralph and Brenda said...

Brrrrrrrr.... Tanner looks like he's glowing from the inside out! I guess it's his white fur next to the bluish-white snow.

Keith said...

Actually, the photos were so back-lit that Tanner and I were silhouettes. I had to photoshop both of us in each shot {but not the scenery) so you could actually see us. It ended up being kind of an interesting effect, if not quite natural...But Tanner does glow when he walks...

Anonymous said...

This was so great! I understand now and will not worry. Have a wonderful day watching football and enjoying your winter! We are having Santa Ana's today and it could get as high as 80. Took your Mom to dinner and to see Marie play drums in here church band. Marie was great! I think your Mom had agood time. We Love you! Dad