Saturday, January 15, 2011

Keith in the Kitchen: Sticks and Scones?

Well, it IS warmer today (33 right now) and the snow continues to melt. The wind's blowing, so AccuWeather says it actually feels like 21 degrees outside. There may be a few light flurries later but it's winter so that's okay.

Here's our little house on the corner

In The Kitchen
My brother-in-law, Ralph, evidently made Swedish pancakes for breakfast the other morning and the event has become a lengthy and animated Facebook comment thread as many of Karen's family, and several friends, hadn't ever seen the "Swedish Chef" before (one of the featured characters from The Muppet Show), "Bork, Bork, Bork!" Karen had linked to the Chef's donut making episode on YouTube.

While not having the Swedish ancestry that Ralph does, I did feel compelled to cook breakfast for Karen this morning. No, Ralph and I aren't COMPETITIVE...but our wives, as sisters, do talk rather frequently...

Anyway, in keeping with the international flavor (pun intended) and family context, I boldly entered the kitchen this morning with the intent to whip up a batch of cinnamon & pecan scones from a mix from Karen's cousin, Tammy. Scones are one of the major food groups in England and with three families from the UK and two from countries in Africa with colonial roots in the UK serving with our mission, scones are not unheard of in MMS circles. However, this is the first time this native Californian ever attempted to make a food he'd never really eaten. For those of you non-scone eaters, a scone is kind of like a flavored biscuit. Basically it's a pile of dough without icing (though it is okay to cover scones with something like cream and/or jam which are two UK topping favorites). This mix provided a pouch of powdered sugar to turn into a topping using orange juice which is then "dribbled" over the warm scones before serving.

So there I was. I had no idea what "cut in the butter" meant and was about to use two sticks of butter (for one cup) when the recipe called for 1/2 cup or one stick of butter. Sticks and scones can break my bones but too much butter never hurt me...no wait a minute...Karen walked through the kitchen just in time (God's sovereignty?) gave me the appropriate directions and corrections, and I continued on my merry way. Big dish, small dish, blend the ingredients, makes 12-16 scones...I went for twelve MONSTER MANLY scones...

Mixing the 1 egg, 3/4 cup milk, and teaspoon of vanilla.

Fresh from the oven after 13 minutes at 375 degrees.

Ready to serve and "dribbled" with the sugar/OJ topping glaze. Not too bad...

Well Mark & Jenny, Andy & Esther, Andy & Heather, Mike & Isobel, Dale & Deborah, do these look like REAL UK scones?

What do you think?

Karen and I ate several the scones a few hours ago and we haven't had any negative side affects so I must have done something right.

Back in your court, or kitchen, Ralph...

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Bork, Bork, Bork...they look delicious as I'm sure they were. (A little bit of clotted cream would make them perfect.)Now, I have to ask...was it cold in your kitchen??? I don't remember the Swedish Chef being dressed quite that way?? :-) What do YOU think, Brenda??

Anonymous said...

The final product was important and they looked scrumptious. Jane would never let me in her kitchen! Congratulations! Love Dad

Ralph and Brenda said...

They do look delicious! Bork, Bork! Lisa, I don't think he's a Swedish Chef at all. That's a scon-ish English hat if I've ever seen one! Ralph knew right away by the knitted clotted stitches! Ralph says, "Bork! Bork! Right on Keith!"

Lisa said...

How silly of me!! Of course it's a scon-ish English hat! Thank goodness we have Ralph!