Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Deputation: Day 2

Well, I've spent this day with my eyeballs glued to the screen, my fingers on the keyboard, and my right hand clicking crazily on the mouse.

Today's mission was to come up with a new PowerPoint presentation featuring MMS's Rapid Response trip to Florida in support of MFI's Haiti relief airlift efforts. I think I just finished pulling it together. I was up at 5:30; enjoyed a quiet hour of devotions, prayer, and Bible study; had some breakfast, handled some email, and headed up to MMS around 8. Once at MMS I worked through a couple emails needing attention and jumped right in to pulling photos, working up a presentation concept, and ordering and organizing individual slides. While it's not complex, it is time consuming.

I took a break at 10:30 to participate in a conference call with Dwight, MMS CEO; and Tim, our Production Manager; related to MMS instituting a drug testing program. It's not that we have a drug problem at MMS, we don't. But in looking to the future possibility of working on aircraft requiring such a program, and desiring to be proactive in responding to the realities of the society in which we live and serve, the MMS Board has rightly directed that we should put a drug program in place.

The consultant/contractor we're using to set the program up needed to talk with us to finalize the draft of the program's specific policies related to how we operate. That phone call was quite enlightening as to the problematic nature of such things outside of our small mission community here at MMS. Wow. It was a very interesting 90 minutes. Lord willing, we'll have the program implemented towards the end of April.

After the phone call, Karen (who was working for the MMS accounting department today) and I went down the hill to have lunch at Subway. That was a nice break. We both enjoy a six-inch veggie sub now and then.

From there it was back to MMS, the computer screen, PowerPoint, the keyboard, and the mouse for me until just a few minutes ago. I think the initial presentation is roughed out. And I think I'm about tired out. It's 7:15 and probably a good time to call it a day, go home, kiss my wife and play with the dogs.

Thanks for checking in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! I will be planning the Cousin Retreat on Friday for our April trip. Hope you have a great trip to Pennsylvania! Love Dad