Thursday, March 27, 2008

Spring In California

One thing I enjoy about being in California is that Spring arrives in conjunction with the calendar. The calendar says "Spring Begins" on March 20th and you know what? Out here it really does. Back in the Midwest, Spring doesn't begin until calendar actually says "Summer." You don't even think about planting anything before the end of May.

Here in Grass Valley all the bushes are in blossom, bulbs are in bloom, green buds are bursting on the trees, and the grass already needs to be mowed.

Back in Coshocton, OH, it's a different story. Dead grass, bare trees, gray sky, dormant bushes, endless overcast, and the mower will be storage for another month. It 's going to be a while before green begins to dominate the browns and grays. Several people back there have asked me to pack Spring in my suitcase and bring it back with me on my return flight next week. Trust me, if I could I would.

No comments: