Saturday, June 21, 2008

Saturdays & Saddlebags

Saturdays are special because Keith always takes me for my walk. During the week, Karen walks me and Tucker at the same time. That's okay...but there's nothing like Saturday morning when "the guys" get out together to explore the neighborhood without the girls.

Saturdays usually start when Tucker and I sit at the bottom of the stairs and cry and whine until Keith & Karen finally get the clue to get out of bed and get with the program. Today was no different. We usually don't get fed until we've had our exercise so when morning rolls around we're ready to exercise but today, today was a special day as Keith came down, sat with me and explained that from now on, I had a job to do on our walk! Yes! Finally, a job with responsibility beyond sleeping and eating and barking. It's what I've always dreamed of...to be a WORKING dog and to earn my keep like farm dogs, sheep dogs, and ranch dogs. It's the least I can do to give back a little for all Keith & Karen give me.

Keith finished talking with me and, with great ceremony, presented me with my very own set of saddlebags! Saddlebags...is that too cool or what? I was to become a Cocker Cargo Carrier in the finest sense of the word! From now on I would carry cargo throughout the neighborhood. This morning we started out with empty saddlebags so I could get used to the straps and how the saddlebags rode on my back. But Keith assured me that before long he'd start weighing me down so I'd get more exercise while covering the same amount of ground. Bring it on...

He strapped those nifty saddlebags on and off we went. The bags even match the color Keith's walking shirt. His walking shirt is specially made to protect his skin from the sun. That's why he also wears that stylish hat and the gloves. The skin on his face, neck, and arms is damaged from all those years years surfing at Huntington Beach, CA.

Once Keith was organized, my leash clipped to my collar and the saddlebags secured, we hit the street and I walked with my head held high and a new bounce in my step.
Look at me! Look at me! I'm a working dog!

1 comment:

Ralph and Brenda said...

...and a proudly handsome working dog at that! See, work was into place before the Fall and is a blessing!