Saturday, October 4, 2008

Saturday in Coshocton

Cleaning the Jelly Bean
This Saturday is a bit different than most as Karen's away at the MMS Ladies' Retreat. On Saturdays we usually sleep in, walk the dogs, and have a big breakfast together. Not this morning, though I did sleep in a bit. Nope, this morning it was two cups of coffee, scan the headlines on the internet, and then off to it.

Today turned out to be the perfect day to devote some special attention to the faithful little "Jelly Bean," my car. (It's actually Jelly Bean 2, as I totaled my first Jelly Bean on December 26, 2001 by spinning it off an icy road and into a ditch.) The first Jelly Bean, also a Ford Aspire, gained its nickname from Dwight, MMS President & CEO, back in 1996 even before I started my service with MMS.

As part of the candidate evaluation process I met Dwight in San Diego to participate with him in the 1996 International Association of Missionary Aviation Conference. We roomed and worked together for the duration of the conference. But it was when I met Dwight at the airport in my Aspire that it gained its nickname of fame. As we walked up to the car, Dwight looked at it and said (in his Kentucky twang), "Why that's just a little jelly bean of a car." The name stuck and when I replaced the first Jelly Bean with the second Aspire, it too became a Jelly Bean. The first one was blue. This one is red.

Today I washed, waxed, vacuumed, changed the oil, checked the tires, replaced the air filter, installed new windshield wipers, and cleaned all the windows. That took a good portion of the day. Don't you think it looks pretty good for a 1995? And don't you think I look pretty good for a 1956?

Referee
Just as I finished my lunch this afternoon, Tucker and Tanner decided to have something of a disagreement over the empty plate. It got ugly real fast as sibling conflicts can. Tanner outweighs Tucker by a good ten pounds but when it comes to gnashing and snarling and biting and thrashing...Tucker can hold her own. As Caesar Milan, The Dog Whisperer, would say, "The dogs were in the Red Zone." As the only referee in the house, I stepped in to break it up. Valuing my fingers, I went for collars and stuck my knee into the middle of melee.

Maybe I should value my leg as much as my fingers...

No blood, no vet or doctor trip, but Karen now has a mending job to attend to. Tucker and Tanner are fine. As if two Cocker Spaniels can ever really be fine...

1 comment:

Ralph and Brenda said...

I will not believe that my dog-neice and nephew would ever act like the couple of wild animals you described! How did you really get the rip in your jeans, Keith?