Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thursday Evening

Don't you think Karen does a great job with the blog? I'm thrilled with the way she's adapting and learning and writing and taking pictures. If you haven't read yesterday's post by Karen, go a head and scroll down or click on "older" post.

After having Karen work at the the mission for five years on Fridays, having her come in on Thursdays too makes every Thursday now feel like a Friday even though Friday isn't going to arrive until tomorrow. It's a funny feeling. We did have a great day together at the mission. I so appreciate her being there to help me every week. Among other things she handles the phones (what a wonderful relief not to have to stop whatever I'm doing to answer the phone every time it rings as I've been the primary phone answerer at MMS for the past eleven years). That's one responsibility I'll gladly hand off whenever I can. Dwight helps me with the phone on Mondays and Rena on Tuesday afternoons as able.

Today I trained Karen how to process partnership slips for the folks raising support. It's a critical part of the "partnership" process. It includes sorting the slips received over the past week, sending the correct thank you letters for the specific partnership pledged, organizing and mailing packets for the respective missionaries, updating quota sheets, and distributing related information to me as well as to accounting.

I also facilitated our 4th group meeting related to creating a team vision. We meet for two hours every other Thursday in order to provide a group forum to brainstorm, discuss concerns, share ideas, troubleshoot organizational issues, and encourage open communication between all members of our group. With effective communication being the basis for healthy relationships, we're all learning how to become better communicators. It's not easy, but I'm so proud of everyone at the mission as this whole process is way out of most of our comfort zones and is a lot harder than fixing airplanes.

Here I am getting this morning's meeting started.

I'm sure everyone would appreciate your prayers throughout this process. I know I sure will!

No comments: