Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bakewell Tart: Coshocton, Ohio Style

Boy, was I was in for a surprise this afternoon when I rode in from the shop. Not only was my beautiful wife waiting for me, not only were three happy dogs waiting for me, but there was a piping hot, fresh baked, scratch-made, BAKEWELL TART waiting for me!Is that something or what?! We each had a slice for dessert (covered in heavy cream of course, at 50 calories per tablespoon) and decided we were going to skip the next cholesterol screening in two weeks..Oh my. There's 3/4 pound of butter in this thing! It's a monster...a mouthwatering, delicious monster.

Karen and I were introduced to Bakewell Tarts in England during our stay at Ashburnham Place as part of MAF International's Facts and Friction course in July. You can check out our earlier Bakewell post here. As this was Karen's first attempt at English cooking, we discussed the tart as we ate the tart. It wasn't quite what we remembered, but it's well in the ballpark. Karen has a couple recipes for it (she found this recipe on the internet) and now that she has some context, she'll have a better feel for the next attempt.

Jolly Hocky-sticks! Chocks-Away! Smashing good show, eh-wot?

(Valerie, we have your recipe standing by!)

6 comments:

Ralph and Brenda said...

Mmmmmmm, it looks wonderful!

Dean B. said...

Good show, old sport!

Looks absolutly smashing!

Toodle pip! Cheerio!

Dean B. said...

By the way...you're Bakewell Tart link is linked back to this post... :)

chocolatechic said...

That looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

My husband thought this was just about the best thing he's ever eaten! I've got to get the recipe (or have you guys over and you bring the dessert:).

Anonymous said...

Well done Karen, B T looks great. We were introduced to Root Beer Floats here in Idaho yesterday. All good cross-cultural stuff! Good times, praise to God. We're so near yet so far from Coshocton!
Adrian, Lindsay, Aaron and Morgan