Friday, April 18, 2008

Crucial Conversations #2

What is a crucial conversation?

The material we're being led through defines a crucial conversation as one where: the stakes are high, opinions vary, and emotions run strong.
Have you ever been involved in a crucial conversation?

Indications we might be entering a crucial conversation could be: feelings of stress, sweaty palms
, a racing or pounding heart, tightness in our throat or chest, and/or a quavering voice. Actually, if you're experiencing those symptoms you might be having a heart attack but in some situations I think we'd rather have a heart attack than deal with a necessary crucial conversation.

Around MMS, just by the nature of who we are as an organization of strong-willed, spirit-led, missionaries passionate about living out God's calling on our lives, it seems many conversations enter the crucial range. Some days it seems like every conversation is a crucial conversation. But then I'm sure, at some point, it's that way in your life, workplace, ministry or home as well.

One thing that's happening as we work through the material is that I'm learning I'm not as great of a communicator and compassionate conversationalist as I thought I was. Go figure. I have high scores on the questionnaires where I should have low scores and low scores where I should have high ones.

Consequently, I'm praying that the Holy Spirit would convict me of my areas of weakness, guide me in the changes needing to be made, and enable me to make the changes required so that I can better glorify our Lord through the crucial conversations He sovereignly brings my way.

Will you pray that way for me as well?

No comments: