Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Saturday Slow Start

We were blessed to have a slow start today. Sometimes you just need to sleep in, catch those extra winks, and smile into the pillow as the day begins without you being responsible to lead the pre-dawn charge. On Saturdays like today, once we finally get up, Karen fixes whole-wheat pancakes from flour she grinds here at home and sizzles up some bacon. Saturdays are the one day a week when we can have breakfast together. It's nice to have breakfast together.

The spring pattern of great weather during the week and funky weather over the weekend is now in place. So we were outside working on the yard for most of the rest of the day as rain is predicted to start any time. The yard is mowed, trimmed, and edged. I think I'm the only person in the county that has a power edger. Growing up in Southern California, the yard isn't done until it's edged. Out here not only doesn't anyone edge they don't sweep up their curbs or cuttings either.

Karen moved some mums, hand-tilled and cleared the flower bed behind the garage, and cleaned up the flower bed in front of the house. Now she's in the kitchen whipping up some white chocolate, Craisin, oatmeal cookies with walnuts. Can you smell them? I can. And I'll soon be tasting them.

Because I am such a considerate fellow, I'll eat a few for you.

1 comment:

Ralph and Brenda said...

I hope she washed her dirty yard-worked hands before she made those cookies. (I know she did--we had the same mom)