Wednesday, April 9, 2008

First Mow

Well, I stirred up the neighborhood this afternoon by being the first person to mow their yard in 2008. It's not like I laid awake last night unable to sleep from the sheer excitement of knowing I might be first, or that I had a grand plan to be first, it just worked out that way. In some neighborhoods around here great offense is taken if someone cuts their grass before the traditional "First Mower" cuts their grass. Seriously. Some people take great pride in being First Mower. Not so on McClain Avenue.

I knew I'd catch some verbal abuse for my bold act, and I did. Most of it good natured and meant in fun. Everyone else planned to wait out the storm that's predicted to arrive tonight and then
have kind of a neighborhood First Mow Day late next week.

I guess I ruined that party.


But with the rain showers forecast for the next three days followed by a rain & snow mix over the weekend, there were sections of our yard that really couldn't wait another week to get mowed. So I bit the bullet, yanked the starter rope, and tried to be finished with the job before everyone else came home from work to minimize the scowls and growls.

I almost got away with it.

1 comment:

Ralph and Brenda said...

You beat us--we have not heard a lawn mower yet in GA.